WOMAN❤️WORDS

A blog about words by a woman who loves them & believes in the power of words & inspiration.

Tuesday 10 November 2015

BITTERSWEET 

I started thinking about this word after watching the movie "saving Mr Banks" a story loosely based on the writer of Mary Poppins, P.L Travers and her childhood.

We all have "bittersweet" memories about our childhood and in general about our lives.
For some reason though we tend to hold onto the bitter and forget the sweet.
So I have a sweet Liitle story I want to share with you.
I had 4 woman in my life.
My birth mother, my adoptive mother, my nan and my step-mom all amazing woman.

This story is about my adoptive mom.
I vaguely remember a tall stylish woman very much in love with her husband, having fun, having friends around dancing and laughing,
 then something changed and as a little girl I didn't really understand what was happening but the laughter got less and instead of party's people came around to pray around her bed, I remember words like 'lumber punch' and numerous hospital appointments even a "faith healing" outing but that is a crazy story for another day!
My nan moved in to look after us as she got more ill.
She had MS, and eventually couldn't do much for herself, but the memory that sticks in my mind the most about that time is this......
Every  Friday my Dad came home from work at 
lunchtime, washed and dressed his wife, carried her to the car,  drove her to the hairstylist for her to have her hair washed and styled knowing how happy this made her, giving her back a bit of her old life.
So like the Mary Poppins song 'a spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down'
Make yourself a daisy chain of sweet memories to cherish and dissolve the bitter. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment